Organizations of all kinds are increasingly concerned with achieving and demonstrating sound environmental performance by controlling the impact of their activities, products, or services on the environment, taking into account their environmental policy and objectives. They do so in the context of increasingly stringent legislation, the development of economic policies and other measures to foster environmental protection, and a general growth of concern from interested parties about environmental matters including sustainable development. It was based upon the ISO 9000 family of specifications, so if you are family with the terms and structure of ISO9001, you will readily grasp ISO14001.
The Key Aspects of ISO14001:-
- Flexible and non prescriptive,
- Can use existing environmental programs and systems,
- Pushes continual improvement,
- Encourages cost saving by integrating environmental requirements into the overall company systems and
- Can provide a substantial market advantage.
The Environmental Management System (EMS) document is the central document that describes the interaction of the core elements of the system, and provides a third-party auditor with the key information necessary to understand the environmental management systems in-place at the company. Consistent with the principles of ISO14001, the Environmental Policy and Environmental Aspects or impacts analysis, including legal & other requirements, shape the program by influencing the selection of specific measurable environmental goals, objectives, & targets. Specific programs and or projects must then be developed to achieve these environmental goals, objectives, & targets. The checking & corrective action elements of the system help ensure continuous improvement by addressing root causes on non-conformances. The ongoing management review of the EMS and its elements helps to ensure continuing suitability, adequacy, & effectiveness of the program.
Advantages of ISO 14001 Environment Management System:-
Implementation of proper Environmental Management System as per requirement of ISO 14001:2004 standard includes documentation of all procedures and processes, including operational and documentation control, the establishment of emergency procedures and responses, and the communication with employees, to ensure they can competently implement the necessary processes and record results. ISO 14001 Environmental Management can be a very effective ISO 14001 Certification tool to identify these cost savings opportunities for some organizations. Some other organizations can falter in its planning, lack of senior management commitment and poor understanding of how it should be implemented and find themselves managing an ineffective ISO 14001 EMS Certification. Among the key benefits of the ISO 14001 EMS Certification standard some of as follows:
- Minimizing the risk of regulatory and environmental liability fines.
- Improving an organization’s efficiency Increases customer satisfaction and retention.
- Reduction of waste and consumption of resources.
- Reduce operating costs.
- Increase long term viability of businesses.
- Identification of possible areas which can save costs such as recycling, landfill costs, utilities.
- Positive response from investors, lenders & insurers.
- Provides competitive advantage against companies that do not adopt the standard.