The scope of ISO 14001 specifies requirements for the implementation of an EMS. The scope covers the requirements for a company, as well as information on environmental impacts and significant environmental aspects that the organization can control and influence. The scope of the ISO 14001 standard does not itself specify specific environmental performance criteria.
ISO 14001 is one of a series of international environmental management standards to promote the continuous improvement of corporate environmental performance through the adoption and implementation of an environmental management system emerges. This standard specifies the basic elements of an EMS, but only contains items that can be objectively audited for the purpose of certification or declaration of self.
By completing ISO 14001 certification for the organization, we assure stakeholders that your Environmental Management System (EMS) meets the specific environmental standards for the international industry. Every business, large and small; industrial, manufacturing, services, trade-related or had an impact on the environment and can therefore meet their advantage to ISO 14001 certification.
Here are the several advantages of ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System as listed below:
- Provide your business with the assurance that you are experiencing, and will continue to meet your commitments, environmental management systems and corporate policy requirements.
- Provide potentially less regulatory oversight visits.
- Display your business partners, regulators, and the community that you are responsible for the environment.
- Increase competitiveness.
- Increasing profits through process improvement and potential energy savings.
- Reduce your environmental responsibility.
- Reduce costs due to potentially lower insurance rates.
- Checking your recognition systems and compliance with environmental laws and regulations.
- Improve relations with regulatory bodies – organizations that implement an EMS ISO 14001 often report improved relations with government regulators find that regulators are quicker to provide technical support, and find that regulators are much more favorable in general.
- Capture institutional knowledge – ISO 14001 ensures that information is properly documented, communicated and retained. The cyclical nature of this management system also ensures all system information is reviewed and updated at least annually.
- Streamlining operations – organizations often realize monetary savings as a result of greater operating efficiency and energy conservation, and reducing the use of materials and generation of hazardous hazardous waste.
- Awareness and increased participation – Organizations benefit from improved communication on environmental issues inside and outside the organization. ISO 14001 gives people a way to raise environmental issues and it is clear that environmental performance is an important part of corporate culture.
- Security benefits – by reviewing material transactions control procedures, including a review of procedures for emergency preparedness and response, organizations are able to identify and implement security improvements.
Organizations of all kinds are increasingly concerned with achieving and demonstrating sound environmental performance by controlling the impact of their activities, products, or services on the environment, taking into account their environmental policy and objectives. They do so in the context of increasingly stringent legislation, the development of economic policies and other measures to foster environmental protection, and a general growth of concern from interested parties about environmental matters including sustainable development. It was based upon the ISO 9000 family of specifications, so if you are family with the terms and structure of ISO9001, you will readily grasp ISO14001.
The Key Aspects of ISO14001:-
- Flexible and non prescriptive,
- Can use existing environmental programs and systems,
- Pushes continual improvement,
- Encourages cost saving by integrating environmental requirements into the overall company systems and
- Can provide a substantial market advantage.
The Environmental Management System (EMS) document is the central document that describes the interaction of the core elements of the system, and provides a third-party auditor with the key information necessary to understand the environmental management systems in-place at the company. Consistent with the principles of ISO14001, the Environmental Policy and Environmental Aspects or impacts analysis, including legal & other requirements, shape the program by influencing the selection of specific measurable environmental goals, objectives, & targets. Specific programs and or projects must then be developed to achieve these environmental goals, objectives, & targets. The checking & corrective action elements of the system help ensure continuous improvement by addressing root causes on non-conformances. The ongoing management review of the EMS and its elements helps to ensure continuing suitability, adequacy, & effectiveness of the program.
Advantages of ISO 14001 Environment Management System:-
Implementation of proper Environmental Management System as per requirement of ISO 14001:2004 standard includes documentation of all procedures and processes, including operational and documentation control, the establishment of emergency procedures and responses, and the communication with employees, to ensure they can competently implement the necessary processes and record results. ISO 14001 Environmental Management can be a very effective ISO 14001 Certification tool to identify these cost savings opportunities for some organizations. Some other organizations can falter in its planning, lack of senior management commitment and poor understanding of how it should be implemented and find themselves managing an ineffective ISO 14001 EMS Certification. Among the key benefits of the ISO 14001 EMS Certification standard some of as follows:
- Minimizing the risk of regulatory and environmental liability fines.
- Improving an organization’s efficiency Increases customer satisfaction and retention.
- Reduction of waste and consumption of resources.
- Reduce operating costs.
- Increase long term viability of businesses.
- Identification of possible areas which can save costs such as recycling, landfill costs, utilities.
- Positive response from investors, lenders & insurers.
- Provides competitive advantage against companies that do not adopt the standard.