The Environment Management System (EMS) refers to a system used by an Organisation to manage its activities, product or services in such a way to minimize or eliminate the adverse impacts on environment. More explicitly, the EMS is that part of the overall management system viz. organizational structure, planning activities, responsibilities, practices, procedures, processes and resources which are necessary for developing, implementing, reviewing and maintaining the organisation’s environmental policy.
The Environmental Management System is a manual system consisting of three components namely:
I. Design or development of elements of EMS
II. Documentation and
The organisation with any type and size may develop its own Environmental Management System to address environmental issues arising out of its activities, products and services. The environments elements of such an organization system may be decided by the organisation itself depending upon the requirements. The main purpose of the organizations’ environment management system has to be designed and developed is that the system may be functioning well to enhance the environmental performance. The ISO 14001:2015 certification of EMS as per specification recognized standards has been introduced.
The International Organisation for Standardization (ISO) has developed comprehensive ISO 14000 series of standards for Environmental Management system. Identical to this ISO 14001 standard, British standards (BS EN ISO 14001: 1996) are also developed. An organisation can develop EMS as per these specifications and guidelines.
There are some primary requirements while developing effective Environmental Management System, which are as per bellow:
- Must be based on control of causes, not impact reactive
- Must address all management elements of control
- Must address Normal / Abnormal / Emergency conditions
- Must have measurable parameters
- Must be goal driven
- Must be relevant to aspects
- Must involve all
- Must promote continual improvement
- Management and not control / eradication
- EMS is managing risks (aspects)
- The essence of aspect management is to avoid high aspects, manage medium aspects and live with low aspects.